Social media is the ideal way to expose your work to people you may not have been able to connect with, without it. From MySpace to Vine, social networking platforms are not only for random thoughts and selfies, but they are extremely helpful tools for discovering new things and sharing your passions as well.
A couple months ago, I came across an artist on Instagram who has challenged herself to create new artwork every day for 365 straight days. Naturally, it was her series of Jhene Aiko portraits inspired by the 8 different personality changes Jhene goes through in her “Spotless Mind” video that directed me to this artist… But it was her amazing work and motivation to improve as an artist that made me a real fan.
Olivia, known as @Duchess365 on Instagram, is a former Disney intern who started her 365 day challenge on January 1, 2015. With now being over 200 days in, she has illustrated heart warming images of figures from cartoon characters, such as Jazmine from the Boondocks and Helga Pataki from Hey Arnold!, to artists such as Amy Winehouse, Aaliyah and J Dilla, to images drawn from her imagination, and even some illustrations of her followers!
I’ve loved every illustration, and can’t wait to follow more of her journey as an artist. You can follow Olivia as well @Duchess365, check out her Tumblr page here, and purchase her work from Society6.
- INTERVIEW: BAD PERCEPTION BY OGEMDI OBIWURU + WILL BRAD - August 20, 2017
- INTERVIEW: JOHANNA ALBA, MENSWEAR DESIGNER + ENTREPRENEUR - August 20, 2017
- INTERVIEW: ASVP NAIL BAR BY VICTORIA NGUYEN - August 6, 2017
- BEHIND THE BRAND: ADORNED BY CHI EMPOWERS THE LIFESTYLES OF MISFITS AND MAGICAL GIRLS - July 30, 2017
- BEE RADIANT WITH THIS 100% ORGANIC FACE OIL BY VERNAL BEAUTY - July 30, 2017
- KEHLANI UNITES AND GIVES BACK TO LOCAL COMMUNITIES DURING HER SWEETSEXYSAVAGE TOUR - July 18, 2017
- INTERVIEW: FRIDAY BY FRIDAY OPENS UP AND GETS REAL WITH SEASON 6 COLLECTION - June 18, 2017
- IN THE MEDIA: NEW MUSIC FROM JHENE AIKO, SZA, H.E.R., BRI STEVES + JOYCE WRICE - June 18, 2017
- THE MORNING POWER ROUTINE - June 11, 2017
- INTERVIEW: ARIEL BURNS, MODEL - June 4, 2017