Last week Kehlani dropped her very much anticipated debut album, SweetSexySavage. The album symbolizes self-love and embracing the complexities of being a woman. Often times, the world is very quick to place a young woman in a box of general characteristics (especially if she’s a public figure) and she ends up spending life either trying to live up to the expectations or break away from them… But pushing for the girls & boys who know there’s much more to them than what a stranger can define, Kehlani has used her platform to give the world a fresh perspective. SweetSexySavage is exactly what we needed at a time like this.
I had a hard time getting started on a review of this album because I’ve been a huge fan of Kehlani’s music for years and I didn’t want to present a premature (and overly biased) opinion… But trust when I say that, after listening it for 9 days straight, this project is amazing. The SweetSexySavage title is the best way to describe this perfect compilation of songs. It tells the stories of a woman navigating through life and love all while grinding to build up a career on her own in one of the toughest industries to make it in. Sometimes she needs to remind herself to take her own “Advice…” Sometimes she needs to go a lil “CRZY…” And sometimes she’s gotta be brutally honest and let you know she’ll only “Do U Dirty.”
A show of Kehlani’s You Should Be Here Tour in Summer 2015 was the most diverse concert I’ve ever been to. The venue was packed with people celebrating her art in unison no matter their gender, race, sex, age, or background. I believe that it’s those raw moments are that show you what an artist is capable of. Rather than dividing people, she’s bringing them together by creating an uplifting environment. Kehlani’s work is bigger than than just music, it represents activism, friendship, and REAL love.
Kehlani and Tsuami Mob DJ, Noodles are now preparing to hit the road for her to headline her second world tour for SweetSexySavage (ISRSLYCANTWAITFORTHIS!), and… It’s lit! Opening acts will include performances by Jahkoy and British R&B Artist, Ella Mai.
The album has no features, but the intro was a poem written and recited by Reyna Mays with these words leading into the music:
The truth is, I’m a superwoman, and some days I’m an angry woman, and some days I’m a crazy woman for still waiting, for still loving harder even if I’m aching, for still trusting that I’m still worth the most, for still searching, for someone to understand me better….
If you haven’t yet, I highly recommend you listen to SweetSexySavage. Support Kehlani by purchasing it in stores, or here, and streaming it from your chosen service. Check out the tour dates below!
- AUDIOVISUAL: AZIA X PULL UP ON YA - September 17, 2017
- CRUISING IN PHILLY WITH PENNY SKATEBOARDS - September 17, 2017
- INTERVIEW: TAPZ, NEW ZEALAND BASED RAPPER/PRODUCER INTRODUCES US TO “NOIR R&B” MUSIC - September 3, 2017
- SUNDAY VIEWS: HIKARI COSMETICS - September 3, 2017
- SUNDAY VIEWS: RUMI X, AN ECO-CONSCIOUS YOGA + ACTIVEWEAR LINE MADE FROM COFFEE GRINDS - August 27, 2017
- INTERVIEW: BAD PERCEPTION BY OGEMDI OBIWURU + WILL BRAD - August 20, 2017
- INTERVIEW: JHOANNA ALBA, MENSWEAR DESIGNER + ENTREPRENEUR - August 20, 2017
- INTERVIEW: ASVP NAIL BAR BY VICTORIA NGUYEN - August 6, 2017
- BEHIND THE BRAND: ADORNED BY CHI EMPOWERS THE LIFESTYLES OF MISFITS AND MAGICAL GIRLS - July 30, 2017
- BEE RADIANT WITH THIS 100% ORGANIC FACE OIL BY VERNAL BEAUTY - July 30, 2017