This past week Kelela released her EP titled Hallucinogen; a thematic six-track compilation of pure emotions. Coming from D.C., Kelela made the decision to work on her music full-time instead of completing her degree in sociology/international studies and has been going hard to make her dreams her reality ever since.
I was recently introduced to her music and immediately became a fan of her soulful + unique sound. Listening to Hallucinogen for the first time on a rainy Friday evening, I couldn’t get past the first song “A Message” without playing it back over and over again; in awe of how closely I could relate to the lyrics and what it meant.
Since her first official mixtape, Cut 4 Me, was released back in 2013, it has been a challenge for critics to categorize Kelela’s style of music. Whether it’s described R&B, soul, pop, electronic, or grime… One thing is for sure — it’s enticing.
If you haven’t already, listen to Hallucinogen for yourself this afternoon. It’s available on iTunes, Apple Music, and all those other good streaming places on the internet.
- INTERVIEW: FRIDAY BY FRIDAY OPENS UP AND GETS REAL WITH SEASON 6 COLLECTION - June 18, 2017
- IN THE MEDIA: NEW MUSIC FROM JHENE AIKO, SZA, H.E.R., BRI STEVES + JOYCE WRICE - June 18, 2017
- THE MORNING POWER ROUTINE - June 11, 2017
- INTERVIEW: ARIEL BURNS, MODEL - June 4, 2017
- MAKING DREAMS AND REAL LIFE ALIGN WITH PHOTOGRAPHER, CATHALYSE - May 28, 2017
- LISTEN: SVGSZN PLAYLIST - May 21, 2017
- AZTEC SECRET’S INDIAN HEALING CLAY: THE WORLD’S MOST POWERFUL (+ 100% NATURAL) FACIAL - May 7, 2017
- INTERVIEW: HOW TO BE EVERYTHING WITH AUTHOR + MULTIPOTENTIALITE, EMILIE WAPNICK - April 30, 2017
- #THC: A HIGHER PERSPECTIVE - April 23, 2017
- DEAR LANEY X LA VIE EN ROSE FASHION SHOW - April 16, 2017