This past week Kelela released her EP titled Hallucinogen; a thematic six-track compilation of pure emotions. Coming from D.C., Kelela made the decision to work on her music full-time instead of completing her degree in sociology/international studies and has been going hard to make her dreams her reality ever since.
I was recently introduced to her music and immediately became a fan of her soulful + unique sound. Listening to Hallucinogen for the first time on a rainy Friday evening, I couldn’t get past the first song “A Message” without playing it back over and over again; in awe of how closely I could relate to the lyrics and what it meant.
Since her first official mixtape, Cut 4 Me, was released back in 2013, it has been a challenge for critics to categorize Kelela’s style of music. Whether it’s described R&B, soul, pop, electronic, or grime… One thing is for sure — it’s enticing.
If you haven’t already, listen to Hallucinogen for yourself this afternoon. It’s available on iTunes, Apple Music, and all those other good streaming places on the internet.
- AUDIOVISUAL: AZIA X PULL UP ON YA - September 17, 2017
- CRUISING IN PHILLY WITH PENNY SKATEBOARDS - September 17, 2017
- INTERVIEW: TAPZ, NEW ZEALAND BASED RAPPER/PRODUCER INTRODUCES US TO “NOIR R&B” MUSIC - September 3, 2017
- SUNDAY VIEWS: HIKARI COSMETICS - September 3, 2017
- SUNDAY VIEWS: RUMI X, AN ECO-CONSCIOUS YOGA + ACTIVEWEAR LINE MADE FROM COFFEE GRINDS - August 27, 2017
- INTERVIEW: BAD PERCEPTION BY OGEMDI OBIWURU + WILL BRAD - August 20, 2017
- INTERVIEW: JHOANNA ALBA, MENSWEAR DESIGNER + ENTREPRENEUR - August 20, 2017
- INTERVIEW: ASVP NAIL BAR BY VICTORIA NGUYEN - August 6, 2017
- BEHIND THE BRAND: ADORNED BY CHI EMPOWERS THE LIFESTYLES OF MISFITS AND MAGICAL GIRLS - July 30, 2017
- BEE RADIANT WITH THIS 100% ORGANIC FACE OIL BY VERNAL BEAUTY - July 30, 2017