Fashion and personal style is one of the best ways to express yourself and to let people know who you are without having to say a word. As former street style blogger and photographer, I’ve had the opportunity to connect with new people and learn about how they use their personal style to express themselves in hundreds of different ways.
Without a doubt, we are the generation of digital media and the communication of our personal opinions; endless creativity and game changing establishments… And sometimes, all of these things come together and result in new fashion trends and personal style revolutions.
It first grasped the attention of the world during the red carpet of the 2015 VMAs on August 30th when socialites, Amber Rose and Blacc Chynna, chose to wear their negative Instagram comments graffitied onto their skintight outfits as if it were body paint.
As soon as these outfits hit the spotlight, many people continued to post negative comments about Amber and Chynna, calling them “attention whores” and many other things of the sort. My initial reaction was, “Wow, that’s a good idea…” Because they were using the negative ways in which they are labeled to raise awareness of how ridiculous it is that millions of people who don’t know them personally feel comfortable saying hurtful things about them behind a computer/phone screen (when digital media and the communication of our personal opinions goes wrong).
The designs really caught my attention because I was very familiar with the ThesePinkLips brand, and I immediately knew Iris Bronner had something to do with it… And that something more would come from it.
These two VMA outfits were just the start of the Iris Bronner and Brittany DeShields art + fashion revolution. Since then, they have been featured in various publications and on Good Day Philadelphia where they discussed their vision and meaning behind their designs.
On October 10th, 2015 Iris and Brittany will be hosting a “Freak Show” fashion exhibit to debut their Barbee BeDes collection in Philadelphia.
These collaborative designs are to empower the voiceless by reclaiming the words used against them in a loud fashion forward statement against bullying and body shaming.
- INTERVIEW: FRIDAY BY FRIDAY OPENS UP AND GETS REAL WITH SEASON 6 COLLECTION - June 18, 2017
- IN THE MEDIA: NEW MUSIC FROM JHENE AIKO, SZA, H.E.R., BRI STEVES + JOYCE WRICE - June 18, 2017
- THE MORNING POWER ROUTINE - June 11, 2017
- INTERVIEW: ARIEL BURNS, MODEL - June 4, 2017
- MAKING DREAMS AND REAL LIFE ALIGN WITH PHOTOGRAPHER, CATHALYSE - May 28, 2017
- LISTEN: SVGSZN PLAYLIST - May 21, 2017
- AZTEC SECRET’S INDIAN HEALING CLAY: THE WORLD’S MOST POWERFUL (+ 100% NATURAL) FACIAL - May 7, 2017
- INTERVIEW: HOW TO BE EVERYTHING WITH AUTHOR + MULTIPOTENTIALITE, EMILIE WAPNICK - April 30, 2017
- #THC: A HIGHER PERSPECTIVE - April 23, 2017
- DEAR LANEY X LA VIE EN ROSE FASHION SHOW - April 16, 2017